Posted by Rick Heuchert on Dec 4, 2013
This coming Saturday December 7 and Sunday December 8 members of the Silverton Fire District as well as other local groups will be going door-to-door asking for donations of non-perishable food and new unwrapped toys. We will start going around town around 8 AM on Saturday and around 10 AM on Sunday. If you would like, please place the items you wish to donate on your front steps and we will pick them up.
If you for some reason we miss you or if you are not home when we come by there are barrels placed all throughout town at the businesses listed below. You can also contact our business office at 503-873-5328, Monday-Friday 8 Am – 5 PM to make arrangements for someone to come pick up your items you wish to donate.
All of the donations will remain here in our own community. All of the food donations will be given to SACA, Silverton Area Community Aid, and the toys will be given to the Zenith Womens Club.
Christmas barrels for food and toys have been set up at the following locations:
- Hi School Pharmacy
- Figaro’s Pizza
- Les Schwab Tire Center
- Rite Aid
- Roth’s Family Market
- Dr. Michael Kim DDS
- Silverton Self Defense
- Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- Silver Creek Lanes
- Larsen and Flynn Insurance
- Silverton Elks Lodge
- Outlaw Steel and Design
- Silverton Green Store
- Apples and Oranges
- Silver Falls Pawn Shop
- Postal Connections
- Silverton NAPA
- Water Mountain Restaurant
- Gallon House Bar
- Chase Bank
- Los Girasoles
- Silverton Coffee Station
- Mocha Delight
- Silverton Fitness
- The Palace Theater
- Dr. Alan Carter DMD
- Happy Jing Restaurant
- Ixtapa Mexican Restaurant
- Dairy Queen
- MAPS Credit Union
- Willamette Valley Bank
- Silver Falls Family Dental
- American Family Video
- Silver Creek Coffee House
- NW Oregon Reality Group
- Thai Dish
- Seven Brides Brewery
- Dr. Michael Bliss Family Dentistry
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Nov 22, 2013
As cooler weather arrives, State Fire Marshal Mark Wallace is urging Oregonians to use heating appliances wisely.
“With the onset of cooler weather, I urge citizens to ensure all their heating appliances are in good working order,” says Wallace. Have your woodstoves, fireplaces, chimneys, cleaned and inspected by a qualified specialist before using them. Portable space heaters also pose a high risk. Use these with extreme caution and follow our space heater safety tips.”
Although woodstove and fireplace-related fires are more common, the most deadly home heating fires result from misuse of portable electric heaters.
From 2008 through 2012 in Oregon, there were 1,961 home heating-related fires resulting in nine deaths, 56 injuries, and more than $26.9 million in property loss. Six of the nine fatalities occurred in portable heater-related fires.
Oregonians can keep themselves safer from heating-related fires using these safety tips:
Portable Space Heaters
- When using portable heaters make sure they come with an automatic tip-over switch and a high-temperature limit switch. The tip-over switch turns the heater off if it is knocked over. A high-temperature limit switch prevents the heater from overheating.
- Give heaters space. Keep at least three feet of space between the heater and combustibles such as furniture, curtains, blankets, papers, and people.
- Check heater electrical cords. Inspect for cracked or damaged cords, broken plugs, or loose connections. Replace before using the space heater.
- Never use an extension cord or power strip with a portable electric heater. It can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Never allow children to play with, or around the heater.
- Unplug heaters when not in use, before going to bed, or when leaving the room.
Electric Baseboard and Wall Heaters
- Be aware of electric baseboard and wall heaters. These heaters are thermostatically controlled and may turn on without warning when temperatures drop.
- Give heaters space. Just as with portable space heaters, keep at least three feet of space between your baseboard/wall heater and combustibles items such as furniture, curtains, blankets, papers, and people.
Fuel Burning Space Heaters
- If using a fuel burning space heater, make sure it is designed for indoor use. Read all manufacturer instructions and ensure it is properly vented.
- Allow the heater to cool before refueling. Refuel outside or in a well-ventilated area.
- If you smell gas, do not operate any switches, appliances, or thermostats. Leave the building and call 9-1-1, the fire department, or the gas company.
Fireplaces and Woodstoves
- Have chimney and woodstove flues and vents inspected and cleaned every year by a qualified chimney specialist. Ask them to check for creosote deposits, soot build-up, or physical damage.
- Always use a fireplace screen. Make sure the screen is made of sturdy metal or heat- tempered glass to prevent sparks from escaping.
- Keep a clutter-free environment. Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations, and flammable materials.
- Store kindling, fire logs, and wood at least three feet from any heat source.
- Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue and chimney temperatures.
- Use proper fire starters. Proper fire starters include newspaper, kindling, or specially manufactured starters designed for indoor use. Never use flammable liquid, such as lighter fluid, kerosene, or gasoline to start a fire.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can release lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
- Use fire-resistant materials on walls around woodstoves.
- Allow fireplace and woodstove ashes to cool before disposing of them.
- Dispose of ashes in a tightly covered metal container and place the container outdoors, at least ten feet from the home and any other nearby buildings. Ashes may retain heat for days after they appear out.
Smoke Alarms and Home Escape Plans
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area, and in each bedroom.
- Push the test button to be sure the battery is working.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions on regularly cleaning your alarms of dust and cobwebs.
- Replace any smoke alarm that is 10 years old or older.
- Make a home escape plan and practice it with your family at least twice a year.
Carbon Monoxide Dangers
- Make sure your home has a working carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.
- Home heating and cooking equipment that burn fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane are sources of carbon monoxide.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal if not detected early.
- Test and maintain your carbon monoxide alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
For more home fire safety tips, visit:
For more smoke alarm information, visit:
For more information on carbon monoxide and Oregon’s carbon monoxide law, visit:
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Oct 31, 2013
Don’t forget to set your clocks back 1 hour before you go to bed this Saturday night. With the time change this weekend, it is a good time to remember to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarm batteries. If you are having issues with your smoke alarms you can call the Fire District, business hours 503-873-5328, and we will send someone out to talk a look at it and possibly install a new one for you.
Remember working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms save lives.
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Sep 25, 2013
Please join us in remembering our Fallen Brothers and Sisters on October 6th. Live coverage of the memorial service can be viewed by clicking here.
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Sep 23, 2013
This last weekend there were 3 members of the Silverton Fire District that participated in the Portland Stair Climb for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The members were JoAnn Tyler, Josh Wimp and Deb Conner. We are very proud of Deb Conner for finishing 12th overall in the female division.
The Stair climb takes place in the US Bank tower in downtown Portland. It consists of climbing 40 flights of stairs in full structural firefighting gear including air packs. The participants were only able to breathe the air that they carried on their back.
Congratulations and thank you all for your hard work and dedication.
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Sep 23, 2013
We are currently looking for Volunteers to help our community. Currently are Volunteer numbers are low for the Crooked Finger Station, Scotts Mills Station and Victor Point Station. If you live by one of these stations please consider becoming a Volunteer.
Take a look at our Volunteer page to see what positions are available. Not all Volunteers have to fight fires there are several non-firefighter positions available.
The recruit academy starts in January. Applications are currently available at the Silverton Main Station and available on-line. You can also contact our Recruiter with questions or to schedule a time to discuss the volunteer opportunities.
Fire District Recruiter
Posted by Rick Heuchert on Sep 3, 2013
Effective on September 3rd the Silverton Fire District will be changing the Open Burn Information phone number. The new number is 1-877-982-0011.